Fine Art Auctioneers
A German parcel gilt tankard
probably by Antoni Mietelski, Breslau c.1749, of cylindrical form on spreading circular foot with an incurved angular scroll handle, the detachable cover with a bud finial supported by three scroll brackets, the sides and cover inset with 17th and 18th century coins and medallions chased between with foliage against a matted background, engraved with two inscriptions on the body, one at top 'Seinen Gott und Eltern ehren, thut der Kinder Wohlfahrt mehren', and the other at the base 'A P Humphry Winner of the Cambridge Cup 1878', the underside of the base engraved 'D.B. 1749', gilt interior, 25cm high, 34oz There are two accompanying letters addressed to Mr Humphry. The first dated Jan 29th 1879 is from Lamberts of London, who evidently sold the tankard to this gentleman and mention that they will engrave it for him whenever he wishes. The second letter mentions that the tankard was in an exhibition at the Ironmongers' Hall in 1861, apparently known as the Wrexham Exhibition. The catalogue was compiled by the London & Middlesex Archaeological Society. It states that the German inscription on the tankard translates as 'It is becoming in children to honour God and their parents'. Alfred Paget Humphry was the only son of Professor George Murray Humphry of The Leys, Cambridge and was born there in 1850. He was admitted pensioner at Trinity, 27 February 1869. He was a famous rifle shot, excelling in long distance shooting, and is reputed to have tested his marksmanship from the tower of the Pitt Press, aiming at the targets on the University range. In 1877, 1880, 1882 and 1883, he was a member of the British team which shot against America for the Championship of the World. He was winner of the Canada Shield for shooting in 1878. Provenance: Heimerdinger of Munich? Lamberts, London. A P Humphrey Esq. Hence by descent. With thanks to Jacqueline Cox, Deputy Keeper of Cambridge University Archives, the Goldsmiths' Library and Colin Longmore Esq.